Can a Non-U.S. Citizen Get a Mortgage in the U.S.? It Depends on Your Immigration Status

Can a non-U.S. citizen get a mortgage in the U.S.? The short answer is yes. “You do not have to be a citizen of the United States to purchase real estate here,” says Ines Hegedus-Garcia, a real estate agent in Miami, FL.

However, the kind of loan you are eligible for—and the documentation required to get that loan—will depend on your immigration status. Here are three different situations, and how people in those situations can qualify for loans.

Permanent residents with a green card

If you are a permanent resident with a green card, you can qualify for the same standard Fannie Mae or FHA loan that U.S. citizens are eligible for. Your loan application process should be exactly the same as the one for any naturalized citizen, except that the lender will probably require more documentation to prove your residency.